Friday, March 20, 2009

Olivia wrote a vilanelle the other day for our Poetry Workshop called "The Artist".
It is about the many, universal variations of how people react to art, with distancing, perspective. It is about the empathy of an individual subject, of wanting to protect or sympathize with the artist.

"I watched the artist slowly torn." - Oliv

This made me grab hold of a variation; of the "I" as defensive on behalf of the artist. Which led to the following sketchings:

Let me buffer the delivery of reaction.
I will scour the newspapers and cut out the reviews, so you will hold up windows instead
until you are ready to hear them.
I will hold them until that point.

It reminds me of the scene in 'Finding Neverland' when J.M. Barrie's play is a flop, and his maid cuts the reviews out of the newspaper, so that when he is sitting on the park bench and unfolds the paper, we see his face through the outline of the absent article. What love, what empathy. What care.




No comments:

Post a Comment