Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When I finished my poetry portfolio in two days
threw it together 
wrote the essay in 12 hours,
I forgot about it,
just relieved it was over.

Months later, I was at dinner 
with "cousin"-but-really-"second-cousin" Ivon 
(who calls me his niece).
I told him about the portfolio,
that I got 
'highest marks'.
An 'excellent', even.

He replied,
"you do know that's the 'Bartholomew way' --
to do something at the last minute,

and to do it well."

Good to know it's in my blood.


In terms of procrastination, 
the British seem to have it down.
Everything is on its own schedule.
Some see days as rolling by lazily
but really it is a disregard for imposed importance.

The Scots prefer a slower pace,
something to remind them
it is their time,
no one else's

while the English
simply
refuse
to rush.
It isn't proper.

Funny,
a country with a history of its own pace
houses
the Prime Meridian.


No comments:

Post a Comment